Sunday, April 3, 2011

Goodreads Challenge 23-30/85: Books for kids, books for me

I am really behind in my Goodreads Challenge posting.  That's a sign of the school calendar, I suppose.  As time gets closer to testing in May, schoolwork becomes more intense, I spend more hours working, and I'm a little more exhausted at the end of the day.

But this will not stop me from reading!!!  Here are updates from the last few books I've read for my Goodreads Challange.


                 

Goodreads Challenge 30/85: Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton
     Wow, that was fun to read. Michael Crichton expertly puts together a suspenseful thriller. Please don't complain that it's impossible to clone dinosaurs from blood extracted from mosquitos suspended in amber. Take an intellectual leap so you can go for a wild ride. Lighten up. Have fun with it.  Let yourself enjoy this book. To do this, you need to suspend any doubts you might have about the science of the book--after all, this is science fiction. And it's well-written science fiction. Some of the characters are flat and have absolutely no arc. Who cares?! With the threat of getting eaten by a velociraptor, you find yourself crossing your fingers that those two dimensional heroes escape the bite, and those two dimensional villains get what's coming to them. 


Goodreads Challenge 29/85: Bare Bones by Kathy Reichs
         I. Am. So. Tired. Of writers. Who. Think. That. One. Word. Makes. A sentence.  Suffice it to say I am unimpressed by Kathy Reich's writing style. The story was a little confusing because there were too many victims and suspects for my scorecard. And what really bugged me is that the villain responsible for everything didn't show up in the book until the last 20 pages. Aarrghh!    Some complain that her books are hard to read because the language is overly technical, but I actually enjoyed that aspect of the book. 
      I wanted to read a Kathy Reichs book since she is the originator of the Bones tv series, of which I am a huge fan.  Maybe it's time to go back and watch a regular Bones episode instead.  

Goodreads Challenge 28/85: Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing by Judy Blume
   Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing by veteran children's author Judy Blume is just an adorable book.  My fourth graders will definitely be reading this one.

     

Goodreads Challenge 27/85: Nurture Shock by Po Bronson and Ashley Merryman
    I read this for a book club.  It annoyed me so much I'm not going to waste any more key strokes writing about it.

Goodreads Challenge 25/85: Witch and Wizard by James Patterson
          Dystopia, kids in peril--add magic to the mix for a fun read.  James Patterson doesn't have the best prose style, but he puts together an action-filled plot.  HOWEVER, I am so frustrated because this book does not end on the last page; you really have to read the next book to complete the story.  I hope.  I'm looking forward to The Gift since this one ends on a cliff-hanger, or end of a rope.  Take your pick.



Goodreads Challenge 26/85: The Gift by James Patterson
     Okay, James Patterson, you have made me NOT a happy camper.  The Gift is just the second act of the Witch and Wizard series--and the third act won't be released until May.


      

Goodreads Challenge 24/85: Among the Hidden by Margaret Peterson Haddix
      Another dystopic future in which there are strict government controls on the number of children each family can have.  Among the Hidden is followed by popular sequels, but the story and the writing weren't enough to make me care to move on.


Goodreads Challenge 23/85: Don't Judge a Girl by Her Cover by Ally Carter
     The third installment of the Gallagher Girls spy stories is like the two previous books.  In Don't Judge a Girl by Her Cover, Cammie ventures outside the walls of the Gallagher Academy to spend time with her roommate, Macey.  Macey is the daughter of a senator and needs Secret Service protection during a presidential campaign.  A good spy book for girls, especially if they are reluctant readers.


No comments:

Post a Comment