Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Teaching Through Technology: Readin', Writin', and 'rithmetic Online

Tech rules in my school.  We have wireless access throughout campus, a computerized math program, and a fully functioning computer lab that can accommodate 60 kids and is always in use.

Our math program comes from the Mind Research Institute. This computerized game system teaches math concepts using a visual approach.  The time is well spent as our kids go to lab twice a week for 45 minutes.  Since we've started using this program, our math scores have soared.

Another technology tool we use is the Accelerated Reader Program, which is an online quiz bank for reading comprehension on over 100,000 titles.  Using benchmark tests, we develop reading goals for our kids.  They choose books for themselves and take quizzes on their own initiative.  The reading program keeps track of the books they've read and their progress toward their goals.  Regularly I print out reports for the kids to take home to their parents, so everyone is keeping track of their reading progress.

Recently I discovered another online tool to complete the trio--teaching writing through blogging.  Using Kidblog.org, I set up a private classroom blog.  All of my students were eager to jump on the laptops to write their blogs and comments.  Even though they only blogged for about a month, I saw huge improvements in their writing, especially their ability to stay on topic.

All of this tech teaching would not be possible without the hardware.  In addition to computer lab access, I also have countless computers in my classroom.  I say "countless" because as I write this, I can't remember exactly how many I have.  Something like eight of them belong to the school--five of those eight are laptops.  I also won eight more netbooks through grants I wrote on Donorschoose.org.

My kids always have laptops at their desks to use for Internet research, reading comprehension quizzing, and blogging.  It's really amazing, but it's not enough.  My goal is for every student to have a netbook at their desk.

Reading, writing, and math--all online.  The future is here, and it's awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment